Thursday, September 16, 2010

Time for a New Project

It's Friday. Just barely. In fact, as I look at the upper right-hand corner of this screen, I am informed that it is 12:43 a.m.

WHY in the name of a good night's sleep am I AWAKE at this hour?!

It's all due to the day I just had.

I consider myself to be a positive, happy, easy-going person for the most part. I'm not easily upset, angered, or fed-up. My general outlook on life and people is almost always immediately positive.

Today... not so.

My morning started out messy with soggy cereal on the floor, strawberry yogurt on the carpet, and a substantially stinky leaky diaper. Seems pretty minimal... but it escalated into girls whining to no end, screaming, sharing issues, tantrums, time-outs, a non-existent nap time, dirty dishes, dirty clothes, dirty children, a dirty house, and a down-in-the-dumps, depressed, frustrated, overwhelmed Momma (that would be me) who began dwelling more and more on her imperfections and insecurities.

But here's the thing: this terrible horrible no good very bad day thing has happened once or twice before, but with no huge despair on my part.

Why the difference this time around??

Because I chose poorly this time. Obviously, I couldn't choose my children's actions, but I DID choose my own reactions and attitude. And I chose WRONG.

It was fully within my power to choose happiness over being down-in-the dumps; cheerfulness over depression; to be calm instead of frustrated; to focus on the positives instead of the negatives... Had I chosen differently, it's very likely that today (well... yesterday, now) wouldn't have become nearly so horrible.

So, why this blog?

Well, firstly because as I was wallowing in all kinds of negativity and wanting to make myself wallow on out, it was the initial idea that popped into my head. The idea has taken root. My thoughts have expanded and continue to do so. I'm writing this blog because it will serve as a wonderful resource as I actively pursue living a life of vitality! I want to improve, I want to work hard, I want to set goals and reach them, I want my life to be dedicated to positive, uplifting, and inspiring things both on a personal level and in reaching out to others. Perhaps not on some grand scale, but in my own realm of influence, I want to be a force for good. I don't want to coast.

This blog is not meant to be written on one specific theme. Rather, I hope it will be an integration of ideas, goals made and achieved, improvements sought, introspection, failures, successes, and choosing happiness along the way.

Tomorrow is going to be wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Your absolutely right!! And, as always you put it beautifully. I have been studying Sister Becks most recent conference talk. Here are paragraphs that remind me of what you are saying.
    "When women nurture as Christ nurtured, a power and peace can descend to guide when help is needed. For instance, mothers can feel help from the Spirit even when tired, noisy children are clamoring for attention, but they can be distanced from the Spirit if they lose their temper with children."
    (And this one is on measuring our success)
    "We are doing well when we develop attributes of Christ and strive to obey His gospel with exactness. We are doing well when we seek to improve ourselves and do our best. We are doing well when we increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help others who are in need. We know we are successful if we live so that we qualify for, receive, and know how to follow the Spirit. When we have done our very best, we may still experience disappointments, but we will not be disappointed in ourselves. We can feel certain that the Lord is pleased when we feel the Spirit working through us.9 Peace, joy, and hope are available to those who measure success properly."

    Good Luck- I will try to keep up with blog. You are such an inspiration to me!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete