Friday, September 17, 2010

Happy and HEALTHY: Day 1

As I write this during my girls' nap time, I am eating a tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread, sliced yellow, red, and green bell peppers, grapes, and a low-fat cheese stick.

Are you drooling on your keyboard yet? Me either...

For the last few weeks... (Who am I kidding?) For the last year or so, I have not been half so healthy in my eating habits as I have been in the past. To be fair to myself, I still have tendencies towards eating healthy foods. It's not as though fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. never make it to my plate, because they are there fairly often. My nutritional base and it's application in my life are still somewhat sound. But still...

I've been trying to figure out why I've become less proactive with regard to eating healthy. There are lots of factors, but here are some:

1.) Sugar and fat just taste so darn GOOD!
2.) The super-duper healthy food I used to buy can be EXPENSIVE. It can be hard to justify buying it at times, when other food items can be bought much cheaper through sales/coupons.
3.) In truth, my willpower has ebbed.
(The world's greatest icecream)

Despite the relative easy of eating whatever is cheapest/available/convenient/tastes yummy, I do notice the negative impact of how it makes me feel inside. Both physiologically and psychologically. Instead of feeling full of health and vitality and happiness after having supplied my body with proper nutrients, I eat Ben and Jerry's Half Baked icecream and feel crummy and sluggish and find myself thinking, "Why did I just eat that?" or "Why did I eat so much of that?" Ick.


After Natalie was born, I put myself through the Body for Life program. I loved this! I truly enjoyed it, and experienced wonderful results. I highly recommend it to anyone.


I'm loving the exercise routine I have in place currently, so I've decided to just put myself through a modified version of the nutritional aspect of this program again. It lasts for 12 weeks! I'll eat extremely healthy every day of the week with the exception of one "cheat day" of my choosing, and write updates of my progress on this blog from time to time. I'm starting today, September 17th. I'll be done December 10th.

The major cruxes: 1.) Halloween 2.) Thanksgiving

The benefits: 1.) Happier 2.) Healthier 3.) Feel better 4.) Look better 5.) My body gets treated like the temple it is.
(Replacements for the world's greatest icecream)

The desired outcome is that by going through this program, I'll get myself back on track towards primarily choosing healthy foods, even when it's not convenient/easy/cheap/as tasty as a hot fudge sundae would be.

Hang on to your celery sticks, 'cause here we go!


No comments:

Post a Comment