
I have been performing the same routine for the past three months and I've thoroughly enjoyed it! It's become so comfortable, and I've liked it so well that I haven't made any modifications since June. This, unfortunately, is not how it's supposed to be done. Frequent modifications to fitness regimes are not only good for a change in pace but are important in keeping the body from coming to a stalemate... which is where mine has been for probably a month now.
Today, I said, "Adios," to my comfortable, enjoyable workout routine and, "Let's try to get through this with a tiny shred of dignity," to my new not-nearly-so-nice routine.
This new routine uses different exercises, heavier weights, a different rhythm, either the same or fewer reps, and the same number of sets as my previous routine, and it takes about the same amount of time as the old one. It went really, really well!!... For the most part... kind of... at least I managed to finish with that tiny shred of dignity I spoke of... I think...
Here's an idea of how it went:
Act 1 Scene 1: LA Fitness in Troy, MI.
(Andrea and the Dumbells doing shoulder presses together... Andrea doing ALL the work, and counting off reps in her head.)
Andrea: "...eight..."
Dumbells: "Yeah right, sister."
Andrea: "...nine..."
Dumbells: "You're seriously dreaming right now... and your eyes look crazy."
Andrea: "...*deep breath*...t-t-tennnn..."
Dumbells: "Did you just grow a new vein in your neck?"
Andrea: "...*wheeze* ....ellllllllllllleven"
Dumbells: "Holy Crow! You're arms are shaking so hard we can't see straight!"
Andrea: "...GASP!........twelllllllllllllllllllllllLLLLLLLLLVE! (thud)"
Dumbells: "OUCH!! Was that really necessary?!? Also, that lady over there is looking at you funny... also that guy over there is surprised you're not a guy... also your hand-sweat made us all wet. Gross. Also, Eww."
End scene 1
Basically that's how it went down.
After it was all over, I felt so happy that I was able to follow through with every rep/set that I had planned... granted, some finishes had more poise than others.
Hallelujah for accomplishing hard things and for hand sweat! (Gross. Also, Eww.)
Good for you. I've been taking a class at my gym and they switch it up every day and it kills me. They promise I will see results...
ReplyDelete