Monday, November 8, 2010

Cheerfully

For the last two weeks our home has been under attack by the Five Formidable Foes:

Contemptible Cough-and-Sneeze
Ruthless Runny Nose
Fiendish Fever
Horrible Headache
and let's not forget...
Villainous Vomit (who had a thing for Natalie)

There were times when I felt I was barely keeping my head above water... while trying to keep a cheerful smile plastered to my face.

I know that sounds a bit dramatic, and it is. However, there is more truth to it than I would like. Natalie got sick two weeks ago, and is just now recovering. Abi got sick last week, but seems to be on the mend. I was sick last week as well, but it was bearable for the most part. There was only a half-day that I was more or less bed-ridden. Thankfully, Cory was spared.

In light of all this, I had a couple minor setbacks with the Body For Life nutrition challenge. Surprisingly, I didn't feel one iota of guilt as I ate that piece of pizza that Cory brought home for dinner because I was not up to cooking. Nor did I feel bad about the Kit Kat and Reeses peanut butter cup I popped into my mouth later that night.

Setbacks are a part of life, and I have had, and will continue to experience, my fair share of them. The trick is dealing with those setbacks as cheerfully as possible.

So, here's to moving on, pressing forward, and not looking back. We often don't choose our circumstances, but we CAN choose our actions... And if Horrible Headache comes near me again anytime soon, I WILL cheerfully beat him to death.

On a lighter note: Check out my Super-Mega-Stellar Pumpkin this year!!!

I guess it'll only make sense if you've read the book, "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. I thought I was pretty clever... doing the ambigram for "Fire" on my pumpkin... which was lit up with fire.

Big pat on the back, blowing of kazoos, and confetti throwing for me. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love the jack-o-lantern. I really like your perspective esp. when it comes to falling off your nutrition challenge. When I do that I find that I beat myself up and then just feel so badly that I eat more junk. I'm going to try and consider your philosophy next time. I'm glad you guys are almost better. Thanks for being patient with the crazy boys Sunday during sacrament.

    ReplyDelete